LindaHilton

Jon Krakauer
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

I have no sympathy, no respect, no patience

When an author resorts to sock puppet accounts to give her book 5-star ratings, she's admitting the book can't earn those ratings on its own merit. Every author wants her book to succeed, to reach readers and give them an enjoyable reading experience. A good author will understand that sometimes the book just isn't good enough, and lying isn't the way to improve it.

When an author resorts to confronting readers who didn't like her book, she's imposing herself into their private reading space.  It doesn't matter if they post their opinion in a public discussion board:  The author put her work out there for the reader to read, and once that's done, the author is done.  She had her chance.  She should never ever ever tell a reader her opinion is wrong, mean, unfair, or anything else unless the reader specifically invites the author into the conversation.

When an author resorts to attacking or accusing readers who, for whatever reason, don't even want to read her book, she's attempting not only to strip the reader of her freedom to choose but also to silence the reader and prevent her from sharing her opinion.

I have no sympathy for authors who resort to these tactics and lose sales and reputations because of it.  Your book has to reach readers on its own strength.  You can't get it there through blatant lies and deception.  Readers are too smart, too savvy, and they share their experiences.  Writers want readers to share their positive reading experience; they have to understand that readers are also going to share their negative experiences.

I have no respect for authors who lie to get people to read their books.  Period.  End of discussion.  You know who you are.

I have no patience with authors who can't just shut up and leave their books and readers alone.  If you absolutely must read the reviews and comments, do so with your mouth figuratively taped shut and your hands figuratively (or maybe even literally) tied behind your back so you can't respond.  Are the reviews painful?  Sure they are.  But that's part of the writing life.  Not everyone is going to love your book.  Not everyone is going to love you.  No one owes you squat.

I'm a reader long before I'm a writer, but as a writer I'm disgusted when I see another writer stooping to this despicable kind of behavior.  I know that in the short run they are only hurting themselves, but in the long run they are hurting all the other authors out there who are trying to make it in this business.

So no, I have no sympathy, no respect, no patience.  Just plenty of contempt.