LindaHilton

Reader, Writer, Merciless Reviewer and Incurable Romantic

Bots and Spammers are routinely purged.

The Summer Tree
History of Witchcraft in England from 1558 to 1718
Wallace Notestein

Dreaming of You by Barbara Mack

Dreaming of You - Barbara Mack

Disclaimer: I am an author of historical romances, including one featuring a doctor and an "old maid" heroine. I'm also a notoriously picky reader and a tough reviewer who looks very, very closely at how the book is written.

It's not a small thing that I found the Kindle edition cleanly formatted. What a relief to have single-spaced pages and indented paragraphs!

And the opening line is dramatic, heavy with promise. I settled back to read. . . .

. . . only to start yawning by the end of the first page.

I struggled through the first chapter -- the Kindle reading is 13% -- looking for some interaction between the characters. None. Not a single word of conversation.

All telling. No showing.

I didn't really need to know all that stuff about Duncan's childhood at the beginning; I wanted action and tension and excitement and characters doing things. I didn't want an author telling me all this stuff.

Gut feeling is this could have been a truly great romance novel. Could have been, but wasn't.