LindaHilton

Jon Krakauer
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %
The Lodestone - Charlene Keel Currently in process of reading. Sort of.

Disclaimer: I obtained this book when it was offered as a free Kindle download. I do not know the author nor have I ever communicated with her about this book or any other subject. I am an author of historical romances.

Note 1: The Lodestone contains a copyright 2005 notice, though the Kindle edition was only published in 2012. An earlier book by the same author, The Tavern House http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11222570-the-tavern-house?from_search=true was published 1976 and seems similar but with slightly different character names. I'm not sure what this means. A reissue? Reworking?

Note 2: I found a couple of questionable details on the first page that really jerked me out of the story.

Though the book opens with the identifying info "Summer's End, 1828," there is a line describing a plum tree as "already laden with the promise of summer's bounty." So, is it the end of summer, or not? Details like this may not bother every reader, but it caught my eye.

The second detail -- again, just on the first page -- was of the character "hanging his fine lawn shirt and doeskin coat on his saddle horn." English saddles don't have horns. Again, this is an anomaly that broke my willing suspension of disbelief.

I'm not sure I'll continue reading, which is why I didn't put this on the currently reading shelf.