LindaHilton

Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

And Along Came Jake

And Along Came Jake - Christopher Vaca

Disclaimers: I acquired this book when it was offered as a free Kindle edition on Amazon. I am an author of historical romances.

I was attracted to this book for its early 20th century setting. I wish I could say the writing was enough to hold my interest, but it wasn't.

The author expresses his gratitude to his editor, but she didn't do him any favors. The punctuation is really quite awful, bad enough that it often leaves meaning unclear or just plain wrong. Grammar, especially with pronouns, is equally inadequate.

Worse, however, is that the opening sequences are all telling and not showing. This may have worked for Booth Tarkington in the early 20th century, but it only works in the hands of a truly skilled storyteller.

If Mr. Vaca wishes to write in the Tarkington style, he's going to have to master the language. So far he hasn't.