LindaHilton

Jon Krakauer
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %
Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway - Susan  Jeffers I bought this book years ago after a friend of mine had attended one of Dr. Jeffers's seminars. I did not attend the seminar and I do not know Dr. Jeffers.

The initial premise of the book is excellent: Basically that whatever it is you're afraid of is something in the future. It might be something as major having to tell your boss that you lost a major account or tell your boyfriend your pregnant, or as minor as opening a past due bill, but the dread comes from worrying about what will happen or even what might (or might not) happen. One way Jeffers offers to overcome this fear is to acknowledge it, and then put it in the past by doing whatever it is that frightens you. The thing that's making you afraid isn't going to go away until you face it and put it behind you. Think of what's the very worst that can happen, and if you can deal with that, then you'll be better able to get past the fear.

That's all well and good and I really liked the book up to that point. That's saying a lot, because I'm most definitely not a great believer in most self-help ideas.

But the rest of the book took a very downward turn in my opinion because Jeffers then began saying even if you don't succeed in getting past your fears, you can make excuses based on effort or even just desire. It was okay if you set goals for yourself and didn't meet them, because at least you wanted to meet them. You thought about them, and that was almost as good.

Uh, no, it's not.

And that's when Jeffers lost me. I dislike excuses that masquerade as effort that masquerades as accomplishment.

I feel if Jeffers had stuck to the philosophy in the first part of the book -- identify what it is you're afraid of, acknowledge it, address it, and then get past it -- she'd have had a great book. Instead it was just . . . okay, sort of.