LindaHilton

Reader, Writer, Merciless Reviewer and Incurable Romantic

Bots and Spammers are routinely purged.

Inventing a Christian America: The Myth of the Religious Founding
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
Jon Krakauer
The House of the Spirits
Isabel Allende

Reading progress update: I've read 136 out of 365 pages.

The Wild Child - Mary Jo Putney

Disclosure: I have both the paperback (purchased at full cover price years ago) and the Kindle (obtained when offered free) versions of this book.  I have met the author a couple of times (hot fudge sundaes at McDonald's in NYC) but cannot claim to know her personally very well.  I am an author of historical romances, contemporary gothic romances, and assorted non-fiction.

First of all, let me say it's very pleasant to read something that's well written.  No glaring grammar errors, no bunches of typos, no immense plot holes.

Second of all, this is not the first Mary Jo Putney novel I've read; her controversial Dearly Beloved is among my all-time favorites.

Third of all, I'm having a difficult time remaining interested in this book.

Dominic, the younger identical twin to the earl of (something, I forget right now), is sent by his brother to investigate whether marriage to Meriel Grahame will be in the earl's interest.  Meriel is . . . not quite right.  Beautiful, but mentally unbalanced in some way.  I guess the idea is that Kyle -- the earl -- could marry her, father an heir or two or three, then abandon her.

Well, that's icky enough.  Kyle offers Dominic a sizeable payment for doing the investigatory work, and as a younger son with no prospect, Dominic agrees.

Of course, the rest of the plot (so far, anyway) is predictable.

Meriel is extraordinarily beautiful.  She's also an heiress, and Dominic has little if any income of his own.  He entered the army and fought at Waterloo, then sold his commission; he has no intention of joining the clergy.

There's a resemblance in the plot to another historical romance that I read years ago -- and didn't particularly care for.  If I get through The Wild Child, I may go back and reread the other to see if the elements are as similar as I think they are.