LindaHilton

Reader, Writer, Merciless Reviewer and Incurable Romantic

Bots and Spammers are routinely purged.

The Summer Tree
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
Jon Krakauer
The House of the Spirits
Isabel Allende

The Summer Tree - Reading progress update: I've read 10 out of 383 pages. And about the ten million . . . .

The Summer Tree - Guy Gavriel Kay

Disclaimer:  I'm not sure I ever posted a disclaimer about this, so here goes.  I bought the Kindle edition of this book in October 2018. I do not know the author personally, but I follow him on Twitter and we have had some brief exchanges there.  I also purchased the second volume of The Fionavar Tapestry, The Wandering Fire.  I obtained the third volume, The Darkest Road, in the late 1980s as a review copy when I was reviewing for Rave Reviews magazine.  I refused to write a review, or even read the book, because I felt it unfair to review the last volume of a trilogy when I hadn't read and couldn't even acquire the first two books.  I am an author of contemporary and historical romance and various non-fiction.

So far, I've read the first 10 pages of this book about fourteen times since purchasing it in late October; it's now late December.  I keep getting interrupted, then have to go back and reread to remember what's going on.  This is not therefore a real status report.

It's a new year's resolution, of sorts.

My resolution, initially arrived at without a whole lot of thought, is to read 10,000,000 words of fiction in 2019.  I'm qualifying that here because I'm quite sure I read far more than ten million words of news and non-fiction and internet chatter every year.  And while I may include some non-fiction full-length works in this accounting, the real purpose of it is to boost my reading of book-length fiction.

I used to read almost nothing but novels.  My non-fiction reading was mostly research material for my writing.  When my writing career crashed and burned in 1996, I lost all interest in fiction.  In 1998, when I went back to college, almost all my reading was academic stuff.  Since then, I've sometimes had some difficulty getting back into fiction.  That's one of the reasons I've enjoyed the Halloween Bingo game so much -- it has forced me to focus my reading at least partly on fiction, especially genre fiction.

So for 2019, it's going to be fiction, fiction, and more fiction.  Mostly romance and epic fantasy -- like The Fionavar Tapestry -- but who knows what else might get thrown in!  I have a system in place for estimating the number of words per book, and I'm going to set up a spreadsheet to keep track of them.  Only completed books count.

I started with Phyllis A. Whitney's Window on the Square, and now I'm going to curl up in bed with the Kindle and The Summer Tree.  It's cold here in central Arizona tonight, so this sounds like a good plan.