LindaHilton

Reader, Writer, Merciless Reviewer and Incurable Romantic

Bots and Spammers are routinely purged.

The Summer Tree
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
Jon Krakauer
The House of the Spirits
Isabel Allende

Window on the Square - Reading progress update: I've read 15%.

Window on the Square - Phyllis A. Whitney

Disclosure:  I purchased the Kindle edition of this book in December 2018.  I do not know the author, nor have I have had any communication with her about this book or any other matter.  I am an author of contemporary and historical romances and miscellaneous non-fiction.

I read three or four chapters of this book last night and could easily have read more if it weren't getting so late.  The story is semi-gothicky -- more romantic suspense than supernatural -- but I'm okay with that.

As always, Whitney's writing is clean and smooth, drawing the reader along without bumps, except that the extra "R" she puts in carrousel is bothering me.  The only thing that slows it down is that she tends to stop the action for extensive descriptions of people, clothing, and rooms.  Originally published in 1962, this wasn't one of her earliest works, so I was a bit surprised how noticeable the static description was.

But the story is moving along, with young Megan Kincaid moving into the home of handsome but slightly menacing Brandon Reid and his beautiful but fragile wife Leslie, ostensibly as seamstress for Leslie's obstreperous daughter Selina but really to serve as some kind of mentor to Selina's older brother Jeremy, who allegedly killed his father -- who was Brandon Reid's younger brother -- two years earlier.

So far, I don't much like any of the characters, which is probably intentional on Whitney's part.  Even Megan comes across as not quite appropriate (I guess that's the word I want) for the story.  She's a bit too pushy, but at the same time doesn't really seem as strong as I'd expect her to be.

But there's a long way to go, and it's working as a story, so we'll see how the rest of it goes.