LindaHilton

Reader, Writer, Merciless Reviewer and Incurable Romantic

Bots and Spammers are routinely purged.

The Summer Tree
The House of the Spirits
Isabel Allende

Reading progress update: I've read 4%. I'm not sure I can continue

Taming A Duke's Reckless Heart: Victorian Historical Romance - Tammy Andresen

It has 88 reviews on Amazon, with a 4.3 star average.  A single one-star rating.  I didn't look at Goodreads.

Nearly every paragraph has me rolling my eyes. That's not the way to enjoy reading a book.

The ship Piper and her mother are to take from Boston to New York is berthed in a "questionable" neighborhood.  Hello?  Most docks in most harbors are not  located in fashionable areas.  This is just stupid writing.

Mr. Abbott doesn't accompany them - pretty suspicious in itself - when these two ladies are to board the vessel sailing at night.  Are they traveling through the city at night alone?  Ew, the guy is slime, but Piper and her mother should have known not to go along with this.  It's stupid.  Characters should not be stupid.

The carriage in which they are riding is set upon by ruffians.  In the middle of the city?  IN the harbor area?  Shouldn't there be some kind of law enforcement?  Even if the driver is in cahoots with the robbers, this is awfully brazen.

But never fear!  Along comes the caped rider on the great big horse, pulls two pistols from his felt and dispatches all the miscreants.

Oh, give me a fucking break!

It's not that this sort of drama isn't ever seen in historical romance.  It is, and frequently.  Sometimes it's done well.  This is not one of those times.

There's no set-up for this kind of cartoon rescue.  Piper's situation isn't developed sufficiently for her being in this kind of risk.  We still don't even know what she looks like!  The only information about her is that she's nineteen years old and apparently drop dead gorgeous because all the men are drooling after her.

Who is this Mr. Abbott?  Why is he so skeevy as to let the women ride out alone?  Supposedly he has "business" to take care of.  At night?  How are the ladies to get their luggage on the ship by themselves?

The lack of introductory action is bad enough, but what makes it worse is that the author could have used that exposition to give better background.

And the reference to a "British accent" was a knockdown of two points.