LindaHilton

Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
Jon Krakauer
The House of the Spirits
Isabel Allende

Disappointments, discouragements, and . . . those other things.

We have storms predicted for tomorrow, so the president of our artists' group cancelled tomorrow's show.  This was probably a wise decision because even with only a 50% chance of rain, the venue is EXTREMELY difficult for setting up and tearing down.  Better safe than sorry.

So that's the disappointment.

Like many of the rest of you, I've been very discouraged by current events.  There are those who say, "Oh, just read a book and you'll forget all about it."  Um, no.  Though I am one of the very, very lucky ones who can say I've never been sexually assaulted, there are other kinds of abuse that leave long-lasting scars.  I've lost a lot of sleep the past few weeks.  In spite of that, I actually did some writing yesterday, the first serious writing (even if only a couple of paragraphs) I've done in ages.  I wish I could maintain some momentum.

That's the discouragement.

Our community has a little monthly magazine called Superstition Living. It features pretty pictures and lightweight articles on investing and gardening and health, along with recipes and the occasional poem.  October's edition arrived in today's mail.

The cover photograph is by Jack Olson, a member of our artists' group.  The scene is a composite including the Mining Camp Restaurant, a local restaurant that burned to the ground a couple years ago, with Superstition Mountain in the background.

Normally I glance through the pages to see if there's anything about the art group -- the article on page 7 is about our now-cancelled show at the Olive Mill -- and to look at the pictures.  There's really nothing on the Table of Contents page that would catch my eye otherwise.

Except, except, except that little photo on the bottom of the page.

What drew my eyes there?  I don't know.  I just don't know.

Ms. Messamore is not a member of our group.  I don't know her, have never heard of her before.  There's nothing about this little picture or the fine print next to it that would have caught my attention.  Yet something did.

In case you're interested, here's a link to the shop she's referencing.  It looks pretty cool, doesn't it?

But I really don't believe in omens.

Do you?