LindaHilton

Reader, Writer, Merciless Reviewer and Incurable Romantic

Bots and Spammers are routinely purged.

The Summer Tree
Jon Krakauer
The House of the Spirits
Isabel Allende

More photos!

This is the project that doesn't require any time outside or in the studio or in the workshop.  I can stay where it's cool!

This is labeled "Uncle Arthur's Summer Camp."  Taken early 1890s.

From the left:  George Joel Wheeler (1860-1911) was my grandfather's father.  Seated in the print dress Grandma Wheeler, Pamelia (Turner) Wheeler (1821-1903), was George's mother. Cousin Louis (in hat) is Louis Arthur Wheeler (1878-1960), my grandfather's cousin.  Uncle Arthur Leroy Wheeler (1851-1930) was George's brother. Aunt Sarah is Sarah (Crow) Wheeler (1854-1941), Arthur's wife and Louis's mother.  Nina Wheeler (1884-1968) was Louis's sister.  Mabel is Mabel Pamela Wheeler (1889-1968), George Joel's daughter.  She's my Great-aunt Mabel who compiled and labeled all the photos, my grandfather's older sister.  "Mother" is Mabel's mother, Alphronia (Drury) Wheeler (1865-1946), my great-grandmother.  Charles is Charles Joel Wheeler (1885-1941), Mabel's and my grandfather's older brother, and therefore my dad's uncle.  My grandfather wasn't born until 1901, so several years after this photo was taken.

Until I scanned this photo and began figuring out just who everyone was, I didn't realize that Pamelia Turner was in it.  Then when I put in the dates, I realized she was born almost 200 years ago! I have a spoon that, according to legend, she cut her teeth on, literally.  There are small dents in the bowl supposedly from her teeth.  It's badly tarnished and I should clean it up and seal it.  I was able to get a couple of fairly decent photos, including one with her name -- it's Pamelia, not Pamela -- engraved on the handle.  The metal is very soft and bends almost to the touch.  I don't know how it survived a baby's teething!