LindaHilton

Progress: 61/61 pages
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
Jon Krakauer

More photos!

This is the project that doesn't require any time outside or in the studio or in the workshop.  I can stay where it's cool!

This is labeled "Uncle Arthur's Summer Camp."  Taken early 1890s.

From the left:  George Joel Wheeler (1860-1911) was my grandfather's father.  Seated in the print dress Grandma Wheeler, Pamelia (Turner) Wheeler (1821-1903), was George's mother. Cousin Louis (in hat) is Louis Arthur Wheeler (1878-1960), my grandfather's cousin.  Uncle Arthur Leroy Wheeler (1851-1930) was George's brother. Aunt Sarah is Sarah (Crow) Wheeler (1854-1941), Arthur's wife and Louis's mother.  Nina Wheeler (1884-1968) was Louis's sister.  Mabel is Mabel Pamela Wheeler (1889-1968), George Joel's daughter.  She's my Great-aunt Mabel who compiled and labeled all the photos, my grandfather's older sister.  "Mother" is Mabel's mother, Alphronia (Drury) Wheeler (1865-1946), my great-grandmother.  Charles is Charles Joel Wheeler (1885-1941), Mabel's and my grandfather's older brother, and therefore my dad's uncle.  My grandfather wasn't born until 1901, so several years after this photo was taken.

Until I scanned this photo and began figuring out just who everyone was, I didn't realize that Pamelia Turner was in it.  Then when I put in the dates, I realized she was born almost 200 years ago! I have a spoon that, according to legend, she cut her teeth on, literally.  There are small dents in the bowl supposedly from her teeth.  It's badly tarnished and I should clean it up and seal it.  I was able to get a couple of fairly decent photos, including one with her name -- it's Pamelia, not Pamela -- engraved on the handle.  The metal is very soft and bends almost to the touch.  I don't know how it survived a baby's teething!