LindaHilton

Reader, Writer, Merciless Reviewer and Incurable Romantic

Bots and Spammers are routinely purged.

The Summer Tree
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
Jon Krakauer
The House of the Spirits
Isabel Allende

As the neck stiffens. . . . . .

Yesterday was not a good day.  I managed to push through the pain of a stiff neck to get a few things done, but it wasn't easy.

One medium-sized project is crossed off the list, completed.  Because it required an extended stint at the computer, I suspect that didn't do my stiff neck any good.

I continued to make progress on the family photo project as well.  It, too, requires substantial time at the computer, not only to crop individual photos from the pages they've been securely glued to, but to zoom in on faint penciled captions and then to decipher unfamiliar handwriting.

A large crafting project also contributes to the physical strain, but it's something I really need to finish and get out of the way.  It's taking up considerable space in the studio, for one thing.  For another, it's an item I sell fairly regularly both online and in bulk to a local retailer, so I need to keep a supply on hand.  After having let my stock dwindle to barely a dozen, I'm now working on replenishment, slowly but surely.  Again, it's something that requires some physical strain and I know that's part of what triggered the stiff neck.

I was tired last night and went to bed around 10:00, but woke up at 2:00 a.m. in excruciating pain.  Both sides of the back of my neck were screaming to the point that I had severe difficulty getting out of bed.  I thought about taking some ibuprofen, but I couldn't even push past the pain enough to get the bottle out of the cabinet or find a drink of water.  I collapsed back into bed.

When the dogs woke me at 4:30 to go outside, I was even worse.  I don't even know how I got out of bed, but I did.  The dogs would have stayed out longer, but I got them inside with a promise of cookies.  Before I fell back into bed, I did take some ibuprofen.  By the time I next woke up at 6:30, I could at least move without screaming aloud.  Yes, that's how bad it was.

I was able to take care of the major early-morning chore, which was to change out all the tumbler barrels and move the stones along on their weeks-long journeys to being polished.  Even though it's not a taxing job -- the barrels are small so they only weigh a couple pounds each -- I could feel the strain to my neck and shoulders.  I finished about 7:30, then headed once again for bed.

Though I hadn't really expected to sleep, I dozed off into dreamland and had a completely terrifying nightmare that my bottles of Levenger fountain pen ink had all been smashed to smithereens and my Ultra-Tec faceting machine stolen from the studio.  Fortunately, it was only a dream, and a beep from my phone alerting me to an incoming text message woke me up.  It was 10:15.  I could move without significant pain.

Hallelujah!

I got up and took more ibuprofen.

It's now early afternoon.  I have accomplished certain objectives for today, crossing a couple more small items off The List.  I logged into the public library's ebook system, intending to finish reading a non-fiction book I started several weeks ago, but something else popped up and I'm going to try a frothy little bit of fun.  I need a few hours without controversy and angst.