LindaHilton

Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
Jon Krakauer

A Baroness of Honor - a dishonorable compilation - DNF, no stars

A Baroness of Honor - Emily Meier

Disclosure: I obtained the Kindle edition of this book when it was offered free on Amazon.  I do not know the author nor have I had any communication with her about this book or any other matter.  I am an author of historical and contemporary romances and non-fiction.

The lead story, A Baroness of Honor, is but one of fifteen or so stories stuffed into this Kindle edition.  It ends at around 8% of the pages.

The rest of the book is recycled stories of similar or even shorter length, and none of those I sampled are Regencies.  Most, in fact, are Amish romances, which I have no interest at all in reading.  Many of these stories are set up as the featured lead title for other compilations by this author, and most are shuffled through the compilations as filler.

I have reported this book and several of the author's other titles to Amazon's "Content Quality" department as they appear to be in violation of Kindle Direct Publishing's Terms of Service regarding "Disappointing Content."

On top of all that, it's not even well written.  There's a summary provided that makes almost no sense at all.  Our baroness is the middle daughter of a earl -- so how did she get this baroness title?  The earl is killed in battle -- peers didn't usually join the military. So her widowed mother marries her off -- were there no sons to inherit the title? -- and then her new husband and HIS father are killed, leaving our baroness to handle a huge estate.  Um, where are all the male heirs???

The book is written in the form of a diary, and there are huge sections without paragraphs.  It's very difficult to get past the first few pages, which is about as far as I got.  It begins when Lavinia, the future(?) baroness is fourteen years old in 1809. On the day after her fourteenth birthday she is informed that she will be attending a ball in London.  Um, no.  That was the point at which I stopped reading completely.