LindaHilton

Progress: 61/61 pages
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
Jon Krakauer

Beyond Memories

Two of my online friends are dealing with the effects of home water leaks and other destructive little nuisances.  I happen to have the opposite of a leak -- a kitchen sink drain that doesn't want to work 100% the way it should.  Last night I dreamt it backed up and flooded my whole kitchen.

Last night I also made arrangements with my son for a short visit to Seattle the end of next month.  Grandson (13) is playing in a baseball tournament and I haven't seen him play since he was 8 or 9, so son is using some of his accumulated frequent flyer miles to give Grandma a five-day trip to the PNW.

This morning I talked to my mom for a little while. The Alzheimer's is taking its toll, and her physical health is deteriorating more rapidly now, too.

I'm lucky enough to have a sizeable collection of old family photos, some going back to the mid 1800s. My Great-aunt Mabel spent her last years labeling as many as she could, but there were literally hundreds she never got to.  They were simply thrown away at her death in 1968.

I've been saying for a long time that I need to scan these photos and label them so they can be passed along to my children and grandchildren, as well as to other members of the family who don't have them.  I just moved that task a few notches higher on the To Do list.  I want to have all these photos digitized and identified to take to Seattle with me on 25 July.

This is my great-grandmother, Alphronia Drury Wheeler.  Born 22 October 1865; died 16 June 1946.  She had a favorite chair, and when she could no longer climb the stairs in her house, my dad and his cousin Bob would each take one arm of the chair to carry Grandma up and down the stairs.  I have that chair.