LindaHilton

Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
Jon Krakauer
The House of the Spirits
Isabel Allende

I think it was supposed to be funny

Blame It on the Duke - Lenora Bell

No rating, no real review.

I downloaded only the Kindle sample, because some Twitter friends voiced issues with it as an RWA RITA finalist.

The opening scene struck me as one of those over-the-top absurdities that's intended to be funny but just wasn't.  The duke's dissolute heir puts on a theatrical thing featuring some semi-nude women, but then the duke himself shows up and ruins it.  It might have worked if there'd been some emotion involved, but I didn't get any sense of that.

The reason, I suspect, was that I didn't like the writing style.  Lots and lots and lots and lots of one- and two-sentence paragraphs.

The end of his announcement grew garbled as, with one swift tug, Nick grabbed his father’s boots and pulled him into his arms.

Not a moment too soon.

The rotting deck splintered as Nick carried his father down the ladder.

Nick shielded the duke as a wooden beam jarred across his back. Safely away from the collapsing ship and off the stage, Nick placed an arm around his father’s shoulders.

Bell, Lenora (2017-04-18). Blame It on the Duke: The Disgraceful Dukes (Kindle Locations 155-159). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

Choppy dialogue with adverb-laced speech tags.

“It’s me,” Nick said grimly. “Now clasp my hand and I’ll help you down.”

“No,” his father said stubbornly. “I’m making an announcement.”

“I’d rather you didn’t.”

Bell, Lenora (2017-04-18). Blame It on the Duke: The Disgraceful Dukes (Kindle Locations 150-152). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

Very little description or scene setting or mood establishing. It just didn't suit me.

I don't mind a rakish hero who gets redeemed in the course of the book, so that part didn't bother me, but I couldn't see myself reading a whole book written in this style.  It's not wrong, and it's not technically bad, but it's not for me.