LindaHilton

Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

Am I being (too) mean?

Amateur Gemstone Faceting Volume 1: The Essentials - Tom Herbst

Yesterday afternoon an artist friend acquaintance of mine introduced me to her new neighbor.  As you know, I play around with rocks, and because this new neighbor is also a lapidary, my friend wanted to introduce us.  Fine and dandy.

After two or three minutes of pleasantries, the new neighbor mentioned that she wanted to get into faceting, that she had done some freehand work but wanted to do more.  I contributed that I have a faceting machine.

She immediately invited herself over to my house so we could play with it together.

Um, isn't that supposed to be my job?  The inviting, I mean?

I said nothing, partly because I was a little astonished at her cheek.

She then went on to say that she had done some work for a guy in California who sent her "Andara crystals."

I blurted out, "They're glass. Andara crystals are glass."

"Oh, no, these are the real ones from California," she insisted.

"They're all glass," I told her.  By this time I was a bit testy, since I absolutely despise the scammers who sell this shit.  And I will not be a party to enabling other scammers.

I purchased the Amateur Gemstone Faceting book when it was advertised by the author Tom Herbst on the U.S. Faceters Guild email list, to which I have been a subscriber for many years.  I also purchased the second volume of this phenomenal guide.  I can't say that I "know," Tom, but I have certainly read a lot of his posts to the list.

I acquired my faceting machine from a friend who literally would have thrown it in the trash if I hadn't taken it off his hands.  At the time, I had no idea what it was worth -- way, WAY more than I could have afforded if I'd gone out to buy it! -- and frankly I just haven't had the time necessary to learn all of its ins and outs.  I've played with it a little, but not much.

As I mentioned in my post earlier about my acquisitions at the Mesa Flagg Gem and Mineral Show last week-end, I picked up an inexpensive chunk of amethyst that I intend to do some practicing on.  I could just as easily practice on some "andara" crystal, since scrap glass is very inexpensive and easy to come by.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to let some virtual stranger into my studio to use my expensive equipment to mess around with her bullshit.

I see since starting this post that she has sent me an email, probably to further extend her invitation into my studio.  I'm just not into that crap.

Besides, I have a two-day show coming up this week-end, so I really don't have time for her.