LindaHilton

The Looking-Glass Portrait
Progress: 61/61 pages
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
Jon Krakauer

Reading progress update: I've read 96 out of 454 pages.

Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right - Arlie Russell Hochschild

This is a very distressing and disturbing book, but it's not giving me any new insights.

The first part, which I've now completed, is mostly about the people who live around Lake Charles, Louisiana.  Louisiana is one of the poorest, least educated, least healthy, and most polluted states in the country.  Yet the voters remain staunchly right wing, conservative, anti-regulation, anti-government, and pro-petrochemical industry which is the source of the highly toxic pollution that has virtually killed their environment and is slowly killing most of them.

They want jobs, even if those jobs are in industries that will kill them.

They are anti-abortion, even if the babies born will be poor and have few opportunities.

I really want to feel sorry for them, but somehow I just can't.

I know that it has long been a policy for companies to take dangerous operations into communities that are least prepared to defend themselves.  It wasn't news to me that the petrochemical companies of the Lake Charles area exploited a population that was poor and under-educated and desperate.

But by exploiting these communities, the corporations have turned the victims into supporters, and now the rest of us are suffering.

I know I should feel sorry for them, but . . . . . . .