LindaHilton

Jon Krakauer
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

Reading progress update: I've read 40%.

Rose Hill - Pamela Grandstaff

Sarah was sitting in her car outside the station when he got back. He invited her in and made some coffee. Scott told her about what Knox said about the coin, about Anne Marie’s accident, Drew’s background check, and about Billy, Phyllis, and what Tommy saw.

Grandstaff, Pamela. Rose Hill (Rose Hill Mystery Series Book 1) (p. 99). Kindle Edition.

Telling, not showing,

This is a short book -- 245 pages -- and when I compare it to a fat hardcover like the two I read for Halloween Bingo, I can see why they were long and detailed and atmospheric, and this one . . . is not.

When I compare it to A Scone to Die For, which I also read for Halloween Bingo, the differences are important.

The Scone book was a straightforward case, with few complications and few suspects.  And it was solved quickly.  It also didn't involve the entire community of the book.

Rose Hill is not that straightforward.  The victim is a member of the community with a long history.  The members of the community are involved -- as witnesses, as suspects, as compllications.  The setting itself is involved.

Instead of developing that -- the way a Martha Grimes or a Ruth Rendell or a Sharyn McCrumb would -- author Grandstaff just tells the reader what happens without bringing the reader into the theater of the story.

Still sliding downward.