LindaHilton

Jon Krakauer
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

"Also, its not spamming if the site allows authors to promote stuff."

The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers - Christopher Vogler

The meeting I attended yesterday afternoon did not go particularly well.  I won't bore you with the details beyond saying that certain issues of socio-economic class distinctions drive me up the freakin' wall.  (Like the implication that if you're not rich, you must be stupid.)

The last thing I expected to find when I finally got back to BookLikes was a hint of renewed BBA wars. It did not improve my mood.

The closure of the Amazon discussion forums set off little alarm bells in my brain, but I hoped the worst of the denizens would migrate to GR and leave us alone here on BL.  Whether the one who decided to plague me is in fact an Amazon refugee, I don't know for sure.  However, I am now a bit gun shy.

He joined BL a few weeks ago.  He contacted me via message in response to one of my blog posts about writing, and I responded by welcoming him to BL. His subsequent message to me was a solicitation to subscribe to his newsletter, which covers a subject I have no interest in whatsoever.  I told him so, and I warned him not to spam.  He replied by telling me I was too emotional.

He has no books on his BL shelves.  He has only a few blog posts, and several seem to be promoting his own books.  He appears not to be engaging with other BookLikers in terms of comments.  He is down to two followers -- I suspect he blocked me even before I could block him.

His writing is not very good.  There are some rather unsettling errors in both his blog posts and his book descriptions.  I looked at the samples of his books on Amazon and cringed.  I won't name him or his books, and I'm not going to put them on my shelves at all.  I just hope this isn't a hint of what is to come.

As I have said often enough before, if there is a single book every aspiring novelist needs to read and reread and study, it's Christopher Vogler's The Writer's Journey.  I had to dig back into my own copy to help resolve a plot issue with the book I'm working on right now.  Understanding how story works allowed me to provide my plot with the necessary underpinnings to strengthen it and make the characters' journey plausible.

Story construction is one part of the writer's journey.  The other is technique and style.  It's a sad fact of the reading life in this 21st century that too many people are publishing written works that fail on either one or the other or both counts.  Great stories must still be told well.  Fantastic writing will only cover up so many plot holes.

First impressions in the writing business can make or break a writer's career.  A single blog post with usage and grammar errors, especially if that blog post touts the writer's great skill and knowledge, can do irreparable harm.  Oh, wait, it already has.

I'm going out to my studio to sort rocks.