LindaHilton

Reader, Writer, Merciless Reviewer and Incurable Romantic

Norman Lewis Omnibus: A Dragon Apparent; Golden Earth; and a Goddess in the Stones
Norman Lewis
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

BL-opoly - #6 - Set in western Europe

The Tunnels: Escapes Under the Berlin Wall-and the Historic Films the JFK White House Tried to Kill - Greg Mitchell

A change from my usual disclosure.

I don't know the author personally, but I do follow him on Twitter, and we have had a few short direct exchanges.

The first book of his I read was Hiroshima in America: A Half-Century of Denial, which I read in 1998. It was one of two books that prompted my return to college later that year, shortly before my 50th birthday.

When I saw Mitchell's promotions for The Tunnels on Twitter, I was immediately interested. Not being able to afford it, I obtained it from my local library. Unfortunately, this was right at the height of my art show season, and I didn't have time to get ore than a couple chapters into it before it was due back. I planned to check it out again this summer when I knew I'd have more reading time.

Several weeks later, however, Mitchell sponsored a giveaway on Twitter. A copy of The Tunnels would be sent to the first person who correctly identified the "famous American" depicted in the bronze statue Mitchell posted a picture of on Twitter.

Well, I recognized the "famous American" instantly*, but never thought I'd end up being the first to post. As it turned out, however, I was, and a few days later, The Tunnels arrived in my mailbox (direct from Amazon, so no autograph!!).

I'm old enough to remember when The Wall went up as well as when it came down, and given the current state of world affairs, I though this would make the perfect reading for a space on western Europe.

*It was Lou Gehrig's Hall of Fame statue, and yes, I'm a baseball fan.