LindaHilton

Reader, Writer, Merciless Reviewer and Incurable Romantic

Norman Lewis Omnibus: A Dragon Apparent; Golden Earth; and a Goddess in the Stones
Norman Lewis
Jon Krakauer
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

Reading progress update: I've read 480 out of 480 pages.

Lies Across America: What Our Historic Sites Get Wrong - James W. Loewen

The honest historical marker:

On this site in 1897, nothing happened.  (p. 442).

This is the kind of book that needs rereading and reflection over an extended period of time.  There is so much to absorb, so much to analyze, that it can't be digested in one sitting or one review.

As inaccurate as most of the monuments Loewen cites are, he does mention that there are some that get it right.  And I wonder, given his particular focus on the sanitizing of Confederate history, how many of the accurate ones are really out there.  Has he given historical markers an unfairly bad rap?  Hmm, I don't know.  But certainly the ones he has cited deserve it!

Highly recommended, especially for its insights into how we got to where we are.  I would love to read The Confederate and Neo-Confederate Reader, but my library doesn't have it and I'm just not up to springing for the Kindle edition . . . . yet.