LindaHilton

Progress: 20 %

DNF at 8%

— feeling doubt
Death In Bagheria (A Serafina Florio Mystery Book 3) - Susan Russo Anderson

Disclosure:  I obtained the Kindle edition of this novel when it was offered free on Amazon.  I do not know the author nor have I ever communicated with her about this book or any other matter.  I am an author.

The premise was interesting -- The "detective" character is a midwife in Sicily in 1870.

Unfortunately, at 8% into the book, I had no sense of the historical time frame, no sense of the setting, no sense of the character.  I kind of got hints that Serafina Florio is a widow with several children, but of her age and her looks, I got nothing substantive.  Maybe because this is Book 3 in the series, the necessary information is in the earlier volumes, but I have no interest in paying to find out.  I thought that's what the freebies were for: to intrigue the reader into reading and liking enough to buy the others.

Serafina is also apparently having an affair with the local doctor, whose wife is whooping it up in Paris at the moment.  This came across as kind of icky.  Had the author provided more information justifying the relationship, I might have felt less uncomfortable with it.

There is a lot of dialogue, but none of it provides the necessary "world building," in hte sense that there's no scene-setting, no establishment of the tie period, nothing.

It did look as though the book had been adequately proofread.