LindaHilton

Reader, Writer, Merciless Reviewer and Incurable Romantic

Norman Lewis Omnibus: A Dragon Apparent; Golden Earth; and a Goddess in the Stones
Norman Lewis
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

Wicked Is as Wicked Does

I have two copies of the paperback edition of Errol Flynn's autobiography.  The newer copy I picked up when it was reprinted in the early 1980s.  The older (scanned above) I snatched from my mother's dresser drawer where she had hidden it.  I'm sure she knew I had taken it, but she could hardly confront me, since then she would have to admit buying it, reading it, and hiding it.

Those of you who only know the myth of Flynn would probably be surprised by just about everything in the book.

Neither English or Irish (as some claimed), he grew up in Hobart, Tasmania, the son of a noted biology professor.  The road to Hollywood took him through New Guinea, India, and London.  In addition to writing two novels -- Beam Ends and Showdown -- he wrote for newspapers reporting on both the Spanish Civil War in the 1930s and the Cuban revolution in the 1950s.  He collected fine art and was one of the first actors to protest the treatment of animals -- particularly horses -- in films.  He owned two yachts, Sirocco and Zaca.  The latter is still sailing.

His greatest regret:  That he never learned to play the piano.