LindaHilton

The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

Jamaica Inn -- atmosphere, atmosphere, atmosphere

Rebecca / Jamaica Inn / Frenchman's Creek / My cousin Rachel. - Daphne du Maurier

Two weeks of real life chaos would have been bad enough, but the past week was made even worse by excruciating back muscle spasms.  No reading, no writing, no nothing.

But the chaos has sort of settled down and the back is MUCH better, so I was finally able to open my big Four Cornish Novels collection and start Jamaica Inn.

I had forgotten how exquisitely Daphne du Maurier uses setting to establish the whole tone of the novel.  She evokes not only the atmosphere of Cornwall -- though I don't think she uses the name at all -- but its contrast to the rest of the world.

Unlike many novels of the later 20th and 21st centuries, Jamaica Inn starts in the middle of that locale, with the atmosphere to create anticipation and mood, but then retreats into detailed backstory.  (I found the same to be true of Gwen Bristow's Jubilee Trail.

But I'm only just that far into it, maybe 10 pages, so we'll see how it goes.