LindaHilton

Reader, Writer, Merciless Reviewer and Incurable Romantic

Norman Lewis Omnibus: A Dragon Apparent; Golden Earth; and a Goddess in the Stones
Norman Lewis
Jon Krakauer
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

Reading progress update: I've read 84 out of 387 pages.

Waking the Moon - Elizabeth Hand

This is just a follow-up to what I posted at page 70 --

My disconnect with the characters is widening.

The reception isn't over, but the scene shifts from Sweeney to Magda Kurtz, the archaeology professor.  I think it's another flashback, but the way the time frame jumps back and forth it's kind of like reading a "choose your own adventure" and just reading it straight through rather than making choices and skipping to the appropriate pages.

The problem is that I have so little investment in these people that even though I read another of those horror-movie scenes just yesterday, I completely forgot it.  It has/had some significance, but it didn't make enough impression on me to register as part of the story.

It was a Magda Kurtz scene, all involved with magic and the occult and scrying and shit like that.  It should have been interesting.  But it wasn't.  I just didn't care.

The book is going to be a real chore.