LindaHilton

Reader, Writer, Merciless Reviewer and Incurable Romantic

Norman Lewis Omnibus: A Dragon Apparent; Golden Earth; and a Goddess in the Stones
Norman Lewis
Jon Krakauer
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

The road goes ever on and on and on and on and on and on . . . .

My Life on the Road - Gloria Steinem

Disclosure:  I read this book through my county library system's digital lending program.  I do not know the author nor have I ever had any communication with her regarding this book or any other subject.  I am an author and a radical feminist.

Though I've read many of Gloria Steinem's articles and essays over the past 30 or 40 years, I knew very little about her personal life beyond having a kind of vague impression of a somewhat glamorous celebrity existence that generated an income that allowed her to be a prolific writer and speaker on women's issues.  Little did I know how far removed her formative years were from that glamorous celebrity existence.

She begins with a description of the life on the road her father took the family on every year, a kind of seasonal gypsyhood in search of . . . something.  There was poverty, or near enough, or a serious threat, and lots of uncertainty and insecurity.  But when you're a kid, it is what it is and you just accept it.

And sometimes you don't even begin to think about it until you're older and you find out the rest of the world doesn't live like that.

Some of the rest of the world is even worse off, and they accept it, too.

This isn't an autobiography; there's no real chronology but rather an examination of the places Steinem went and the people she met and how she grew through those experiences.  Everything from traveling on trains in India to traveling the back roads in Indian Country, because that's where the real people are.

I'm not sure that there's any one thing I could focus on as an outstanding part of the book; every vignette was given equal weight, and every person given equal importance.  She learned from everyone, regardless of their status.

It's good.  It's entertaining.

Just read it.