LindaHilton

Jon Krakauer
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

Reading progress update: I've read 5 out of 248 pages.

Ammie, Come Home - Barbara Michaels

Ammie, Come Home was written in the mid- to late 1960s as a contemporary gothic.  The time-frame clues  come early, with one of the first being the reference to hamburgers on page 1.  Because I was growing up in that era and remember it more or less fondly, I thought I'd provide some visual aids for anyone who might be interested.

The character Ruth Bennett, who is in her mid-forties (page 3), is wearing a suit in "a soft tweedy mixture of pink and blue" that may very well have looked a lot like this Coco Chanel number.

Ruth goes on to describe her niece Sara's fashions in some detail.  Sara's black hair is long and straight --

Ruth had never caught Sara ironing it, but she suspected the worst.

Sara wears mini-skirts, tall boots, and mesh stockings.  All of these were standard style for the late 1960s.

And that late 1960s foreign sportscar that looked like an insect?  I always thought the old Citroën models looked rather like grasshoppers . . . .

but the Citroën is not a "very small car" of the type described on page 4.  And I would never consciously imagine the flamboyant Professor MacDougal to be driving a vehicle known more for its luxurious ride than its sporty flair.  He'd have been driving something more like this 1966 Jaguar XK-E.

Ah, yes, I remember it well!