LindaHilton

Reader, Writer, Merciless Reviewer and Incurable Romantic

Norman Lewis Omnibus: A Dragon Apparent; Golden Earth; and a Goddess in the Stones
Norman Lewis
Jon Krakauer
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

Reading progress update: I've read 129 out of 353 pages.

Deadly Women - Ellen Nehr, Jan Grape, Dean James

I'm finding this book very uneven.  Some of the articles and interviews are excellent.  I enjoyed the conversation with Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels, and the interview with Patricia Cornwell was superb.

The article by Ellen Hart on lesbian detective characters was very good, but waaaaay too short, even as a teaser to further research.  And the essay by Kathy Phillips on "political correctness" was mostly just meh, except for this quote from author/editor Joan M. Drury:

"Politically correct was synonymous with being culturally sensitive -- and who would wan to be less than that?  These days, the far right, the not-so-far-right, the moral majority, the academic/intellectual nazis, and any number of other folk . . . are all rallying against, railing about the concept of politically correct . . . .'Politically correct' was curtailing their rights . . . was interfering with freedom of speech, freedom of choice, freedom to be all the things these people aspired to be . . . including a racist or bigot, apparently."

And that was in the late 1990s!

The interview with Val McDermid, an author totally unfamiliar to me, was also very well done.  McDermid began her writing career as a journalist, then later transitioned to writing mysteries.  "It took a while for me to realize the two jobs are about as closely related as a charcoal burner and a wood sculptor -- only the raw material is the same."

I can attest to that!