LindaHilton

Jon Krakauer
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

The evolution of author self-promotion, or, Whose fault is it really?

— feeling confused

In response to the misbehavior of two established authors this past week, I spent most of yesterday afternoon composing an embarrassingly long blog post about the development of modern-day author self-promotion from roughly the time of the paperback explosion of historical romance novels (1970s) to the digital explosion of self-publishing authors.

After posting it, however, I began to wonder if I should have put more emphasis on how traditional, mostly corporate publishers shifted the burden of promotion to authors (traditionally published as well as SPA) and did so by appealing to readers in such a way and to such an extent that the pressure to promote appeared to originate with the readers, thus letting the publishers off the hook.  I'm guessing, from what little I've read in the past few days regarding readers' responses to these internet flaps, that most readers do not understand how seriously this whole self-promotion issue impacts their own reading choices.

But, as always, I could be totally wrong.

Getting the word out about getting the words out.

Anyone who has been following me much at all knows that I frequently make reference to the old days of traditional print publication.  I'm going to do that again in this post, so if you're sick and tired of that subject, you can skip this one.  ;-)

Anyone who has been following me much at all also knows I am terrible at self-promotion.  I love talking about writing, expressing my opinions about good and bad writing, chatting up weird crap that happens in my life whether related to writing or not, showing off some of my artsy fartsy crafting.  But even here on my own little blog, I have significant difficulty promoting my own books.  This is nothing new.  I've always been reticent about tooting my own horn.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The rest of this insanely long entry is at