LindaHilton

Jon Krakauer
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

Some assembly required -- but not much!

I was expecting to have to put the whole thing together -- mount the motor, install the shaft and pulley, etc. -- but all the really complicated stuff had already been done.  All I needed to do was remove the table to install the blade, then attach the blade guard and splash plate.  By far the hardest part was getting the 60-lb saw out of the box and up onto the workbench.  I'm not tall enough to have the leverage needed to lift it easily, but I did it without too much difficulty.

The funny part was the actual delivery from FedEx.  I'd been waiting for them, because I knew I'd have to sign for it.  Since I'm a barefoot person, I had an extra pair of shoes at the ready by the front door.  So the FedEx guy arrives, honks his horn, and I'm out there like a flash.  He hands me one small box that can't weigh more than two pounds.

He asks about the address to make sure this is the right place, because it looks like there are three residences on the property.  I confirm that no, it's all one place and I'm the right person.  But then I ask him why there's only one package when the shipping info said two.  He shrugs, looks at his little gizmo, and says, "Oh, I guess you're right."

Now I'm thinking that there were supposed to be two packages, with the expectation of the saw being in one box and the motor in another.  I have no idea what this little lightweight thing is.  The FedEx guy is rummaging around in the back of his van and then he comes out and says, "Is there someplace I can drop this off?  It's really heavy."

I direct him to the back of the property and the workshop, which is where the saw is going to go, and he drives back there.  There are, of course, rocks all over the place.  On the concrete porch.  On the workbench.  In buckets.  On the little worktable.  He brings this big huge box out of the back of the van, with "Lapidary Trim Saw" printed on the end.  He asks me what kind of saw that is, and I explain it's for cutting rocks.

He was there for almost 20 minutes!  He wanted to know what kind of rocks, where did I find them, did I know where to find geodes, etc. etc. etc.  He was a very tall young man (6'3" at least, early 30s, maybe) and I have a feeling he didn't really think a little old short broad like me really did all that stuff.  But I do.  As soon as he was gone, I got to work.

It probably took half an hour to put it all together, add the oil, and actually start cutting.  By then it was almost 2:30 and the sun was coming around so it hit the work area, and it was just too hot to continue.  The oil gets hot enough from the friction of cutting, and when the sun is hitting the saw as well, that hot oil can be pretty uncomfortable.

But I did get some cutting done.  I finished trimming most of the pieces I had had in process when the other saw gave up the ghost, then I started slicing some new material.  Although I had anticipated being able to cut larger material on this saw (8" blade) than on the other (6" blade), this is designed a little differently and really doesn't afford a whole lot more cutting capacity.  This was rather disappointing, to say the least, but at least it isn't less than what I had.

It cuts nicely, however, so no complaints in that direction.  As soon as I replenish the piggy bank, I need to lay in a supply of more blades, because I have a LOT of cutting to do.  After I finish the clean up this evening, I'll take some photos of the first batch of cut stones.  And of course I'll be out there early tomorrow, taking advantage of what few cool hours we have.  I think I actually sliced three stones.  Only about 3,999,997 to go. . . .