LindaHilton

Jon Krakauer
The Power of Myth
Joseph Campbell, Bill Moyers
Progress: 20 %

Reading progress update: I've read 25%.

Art Inc.: The Essential Guide for Building Your Career as an Artist - Meg Mateo Ilasco, Lisa Congdon

At this point, I'm not particularly impressed.

I bought the Kindle edition of this book when I quit my day job and decided to make my creative endeavors a full-time occupation.  The expectation was that the book would have lots of tips on how to take any creative effort into higher gear than just hobby or part-time.

The first huge disappointment was how poorly it displayed on my basic black and white Kindle.  Parts of it are virtually(sic) unreadable because of the original white text on an orange background; in shades of grey, everything fades and loses contrast.  Even on the K4PC app with full color, those sections are difficult to read.  I'd have much preferred just ordinary black and white text with separate illustrations if needed.

There is also a huge amount of blank space.  The big bold headline in the screen shot above takes up one and a half Kindle device pages.  Is it padding the length of the book, making readers think they're getting more than they really are?  On the K4PC it shows 177 print pages plus an index with lots of hyperlinks, but there is a lot of the above kind of padding.  Hmmmm.....

At 25% through, I'm also not yet impressed with the contents.  The book is well-written, clear, easy to understand, but . . . .

So far there's been nothing new, nothing exciting, nothing most people wouldn't already know.  If you want to set up a business find out what the local laws are about zoning and taxation.  Think positive.  Blah, blah, blah.  And I suppose it's good to include the basics because in fact not everyone knows that stuff.  (On an artists' discussion board the other day, in the middle of a long thread discussion about the revised EU VAT legislation, someone asked, "What's the EU?")

But it's also becoming clear that author Lisa Congdon has directed the book solely at fine art artists -- painters, photographers, sculptors.  All of the artists she's interviewed (so far) are painters, illustrators, etc.  Some of her ideas apply across the board into other arts as well, but there are other issues she's left out, at least at this point.  Maybe the next chapter on promoting one's work will be better applicable to the artisan/crafter.  We'll see.